Saturday, August 2, 2014

August, why did you come so soon?


   
  Dear August,
           Why did you show up so soon? Do you know what seeing you means? It means my baby girl is a step closer to being an adult, summer is almost over, another school year is starting, and I have to find a way to balance everything again.
    I really wish I could slow down time because Jadynn is going to be starting her sophomore year of high school. She was just starting Kindergarten yesterday! Right?! Since I cannot slow time down, I've decided to embrace the journey. Last year was an amazing ride. She conquered her freshman year and started finding her niche. I watched her play volleyball games, compete in speech tournaments, direct the middle school play, dress up for her first homecomings, walk across the stage in a teen pageant, graduate from modeling classes, participate in her first photo shoot, create a duct tape ensemble and share with thousands of people, and grow into an independent, confident young lady. She truly makes my job as a parent easy! I can only imagine what this year will bring!!! 
      With summer coming to an end, it means no more sitting by the pool basking in the sun, no more staying up late and sleeping in, no more going with the flow of things and seeing what the day brings, and no more workouts in the middle of the day. It also means that it is time to sit down and see how I did with my summer goals. I had a couple of goals for the summer: become a summer runner, maintain or lose weight ( I usually gain), start a blog, be consistent with Beachbody, read for pleasure and personal development, and enjoy time with Jadynn. At first glance, I think that I crushed all of these goals. Thankfully the temperatures weren't smoking hot, and I was able to keep up with my running. I even set a PR in a 5 mile race by taking 8 minutes off my previous time. Thanks to t25 Gamma, PiYo and running I am 3 pounds lighter than I was at the end of May. I won't bore you with the details of my other goals except to say that I am proud of myself. In the past, I didn't set a lot of goals because not meeting them meant failure, and I HATE failing. While hearing Darren Hardy speak this summer at Summit, I learned that failure helps you become successful. This is something that I have started to embrace. 
       This will be my fifteenth year in education, and I truly love my job. Summer gives me time to rejuvenate and collect new ideas for the upcoming year. When August rolls around, I start feeling mixed emotions. I look forward to heading back to work, but at the same time, I will miss my days of reading in the sun and watching Netflix for hours with Jadynn. The little things!With the start of each year, I look forward to getting to know the new 8th graders and sharing my love of reading with them. There is nothing better than hearing that students like a book that I put in their hands. That makes my job worthwhile. It isn't about the test score he/she gets at the end of the year (even though the state says it is); it's about building a relationship with each student and teaching him/her something that will last a lifetime. That's why I am a teacher! 
        With going back to work, it means that it is time to get back on a schedule. I like my haphazard schedule of summer. There are no bed times, no early wake up times, and no specific time frame to get my workout(s) in. Soon the alarm will be set for 6:10 which means I will have to go to bed by 11:00. I will only have a small window of time to get in my training runs and PiYo workouts. The best thing about being on this schedule is keeping my eating in check. I do so much better when I am working, guess that's a positive. 
        I am going to have to accept the fact that it is August, and my last days of summer are fleeting by in the blink of an eye. Soon I will be waking up early, watching Jadynn play volleyball, grading papers, making lesson plans, and setting new goals for the Fall. Until then, I will enjoy the last rays of sunshine, a few more late nights, and finishing the last few episodes of Revenge on Netflix. Here's to embracing that fact that it is August and making the most of it. Are you with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment