Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Back to school eve


You would think after 14 years of teaching I would be able to sleep the night before school starts. But for some reason I cannot. I start thinking about all of the students that will come through my door and spend the next 100 plus days with me for 90 minutes. The first day is the most important because it sets the tone for the school year. I have to set the rules and expectations for the year and start establishing relationships with over 100 students. Building relationships is so important to me because if the students do not trust and believe you are genuine you are not going to teach them anything. Are all of the students going to like me? Probably not, and that is ok! I'm not there to be their friend; I am there to be their teacher and help them find a love of reading. Looking forward to meeting each and every smiling or frowning face tomorrow and the upcoming school year. I can only hope that I make a positive difference in each of their lives and help them become better individuals.


No comments:

Post a Comment