Saturday, August 16, 2014

Prep Day

Most of the summer, I prepped in the morning since I had the extra time. With school starting back up on Monday, it means that I have to start food prepping for the entire week. I am starting another round of the 21 Day Fix so that means prepping and measuring. Since I want to spend our last day of summer together, I decided to do by prep today instead of Sunday. My prep for the day included: grilling chicken, making brown rice, cutting up strawberries and veggies, and making quinoa patties. After all of the cooking and cutting, it was time to measure and put in baggies, so I just have to pull out baggies for my lunch each day. Tomorrow night I will make steel cut oats in the crockpot for my breakfast. This was the first time that I made quinoa patties, and I have to say they were pretty delicious. My mom and daughter even approved! ;) I found the recipe on Skinnytaste and shared it below.

Quinoa and Spinach Patties
Skinnytaste.com
Servings: 7 • Serving Size: 2 patties • Old Points: 5 pts • Points+: 6 pts
Calories: 236.2 • Fat: 7.4 g • Protein: 11.4 g • Carb: 30.5 g • Fiber: 3.2 g • Sugar: 1.9 g
Sodium: 429.5 • Cholesterol: 110.0 mg

Adapted from Heidi Swanson's Super Natural Every Day

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup uncooked quinoa
  • 2 cups water
  • 4 eggs, whisked
  • 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese
  • 3 large scallions, sliced thin
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 cup steamed spinach, chopped (frozen is fine)
  • 1 cup plain breadcrumbs (for GF, be sure to use GF breadcrumbs)
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil

Directions:

Rinse the quinoa thoroughly and place the grains in a medium sauce pan with 2 cups of water. Bring the water to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cook until quinoa is tender and has absorbed the liquid, about 20 minutes. Let it cool.
In a large bowl, combine the cooked quinoa, eggs, Parmesan, scallions, garlic, salt, steamed spinach, and breadcrumbs. Let everything sit for a few minutes to absorb the liquid. The batter should be moist, but not runny. Form patties 1/4 cup each.

Heat the oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-low heat. In 2 or 3 batches, cook the patties covered for 8-10 minutes on each side, or until browned and golden.

Makes 14 patties.

Patties in the making


No comments:

Post a Comment