Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Taken too soon

 
 3 years ago, my aunt was taken from us way too soon. She found out on June 24th that she had cancer after going in pains in her side that resulted in surgery to remove a mass.  After her surgery, she stayed with us, so we could help take care of her. During the time she stayed with us, she always had a smile on her face even though she was in constant pain. She was determined to fight with all of her might. Unfortunately, we had no idea that the cancer was spreading like wildfire throughout her body.
      When she was taken to the ER for breathing issues, we began to realize that things were worse than we ever imagined. I can remember her looking up at my mom and I asking if she was going to die that day. How do you respond to that? What do you say to her to try and ease her pain? We each grabbed a hand and told her to keep fighting. She just smiled back at us and told us that she would.
     The next few days were a blur. Someone from an oncologist office finally came to meet with her and assess her situation. At first, the news seemed positive. We found out what type of cancer she had and treatment options were discussed. Before they could proceed with developing a plan, a CT scan needed to be done. After the CT scan, we found out that the cancer was everyone and there was nothing that could be done besides make her comfortable. I remember breaking down and telling her that it wasn't fair. She was only 48 years old, and her 2 kids needed her. My heart started breaking into a million pieces for her, for my grandma, for her children, for mom, and my family.
      I remember my sister saying goodbye before she flew back home. It will be a memory that I will never forget. I am just thankful that my sister got to say goodbye in person. My brother and his family were able to make it in from Texas to day goodbye. I knew after she was able to say goodbye to everyone that we would lose her. She had made peace with her future and was ready to be reunited with my grandpa. She told my mom that she saw grandpa, and he was waiting for her in a city of gold.
     We got the call early in the morning August 12th, 2011, saying that she had passed. We went to the hospital to say our final goodbyes to her earthly body. It was one of the hardest things that I have ever done in my life. Why was she taken so soon? How was her daughter and son going to go on with out her? How was my family going to be able to move forward?
       I promised myself that her death would not be in vain; I was going to do something to honor her and the smile she wore on her face each and every day. Since her death, I have tried to live my life differently. I decided to live more in the moment and enjoy the little things in life. Family became a priority, and I try to enjoy every moment with them that I can. My health became a focus because I wanted to try and make sure that I am around for my daughter as she grows older. I try to forgive a little bit easier and smile a little bit more. This is the way that she lived her life.
      There isn't a day that goes by that I do not think of her and wish she was still here. She was Jadynn's biggest fan, and I know that she would be so impressed with the young lady that she has become. I am thankful that we have her as a guardian angel watching over us each and every day.
        Take time to stop and smell the roses and enjoy the little things in life. Take time today to hug the ones you love and let them know that you love them. Take time today to forgive those that need forgiveness. Take time today to remember those loved ones that have gone before you and honor their memory in some way. Take time today to do something for your health.


   
   

No comments:

Post a Comment